Oakley Public Library History:
On October 12, 1923, the Cosmos Club sponsored a tea and book shower, this was the beginning for the Oakley Public Library. At that time 400 books were received and business men donated shelving and a reading table. Space was offered in the appliance shop by the proprietor who also offered to care for the books. The library was opened on November 1, 1923. The members of the club canvassed the town, house after house, year after year, selling membership cards—adults, $1.50 and children, .75, to raise funds for the support of the library.
In 1925, the books were moved to the basement of the Moore Store. When it became apparent that the library had grown sufficiently, the club relinquished the responsibility and donated the books and equipment to the city and the books were moved to the city offices.
In 1975 the library was moved to a new building housing the Fick Fossil and History Museum and the library. Today the library is a fully automated research center serving three counties with a collection of over 17,000 books, DVDs, audio and other materials.